Saturday, November 15, 2014

Spiritual Adventuring

I cannot remember where I heard the term, "spiritual adventuring," but it struck me, enough to stop what I was doing and write it down. This blog post has been sitting here, blank, for at least a month, with only the title. As I write these words, I do not even know what the end result will be, but that is ok. By the time I hit the "publish" button, there will hopefully be a fully formed idea. For me, that is part of the fun of writing. I begin and see where it leads. To me, my spiritual life is similar to my spiritual life. I begin with a thought and see where it leads me. Over the years I have tread innumerable paths: from the religion of my upbringing (Christianity), to a place within the Unitarian Universalist community as a young adult, to experimentation in New Age concepts (yes I took a Tarot Reading course and explored Shamanism). I have participated in a past life regression, (don't even ask) and studied meditation and yoga. I have become a Reiki practitioner and have worked through twelve step programs. And I am still exploring.

Lately, there have been controversies surrounding the practice of other religions within a so-called
"Christian" nation. I have read the comments of outrage, how dare we accept people of other faiths, people who do not recognize the "one true God." This outrage lately seems to be pointed at Muslims. For the past 2000 years Christians themselves have been persecuted in this way. At first I was angered, why can't we all just get along, why can't Christians accept others of different religions? But then the anger faded. I sit here as a person who has led a spiritually adventurous life, and you know what? It is pretty cool. I try out different practices, I pray in a myriad of ways, I take what I can use and leave the rest. I chant "Om" after yoga, I meditate, I give and receive Reiki treatments and I partake in sessions with a spiritual counselor. Today the image of my Higher Power is that of a Great Blue Heron and an ancient oak tree. I find peace next to a stream and I talk with my ancestors as I watch the water rushing by. Sometimes I call God a She, and am amused when people get all flustered and self- righteous (yes, that is not so spiritual of me but kind of fun). Tomorrow, my spiritual practice may change, and I may discover a way up the mountain of which I was previously unaware. I look forward to it, a new spiritual adventure. Can I get an "Om?"

5 comments:

  1. No, you can't get an "Om", because one of my pet peeves, acquired during my own spiritual adventure, is English-speaking people talking as if they speak Hindi or Japanese or something. I just roll my eyes whenever someone says "Namaste". Trust me, Chinese people who are Christians don't say the English word, "faith" - they speak in Chinese, just as they normally do.
    On the one hand, I agree with your basic idea of spiritual adventuring (my own path in life led through Taoism and Zen, before circling back round to Christianity). But on the other hand, there IS but one true God. I still recall the wise insight of a priest who said to me, "Without Jesus, the best you can hope for is to end up just another dead Zen master".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack, that was said kind of tongue in cheek, but seriously, I think that the word "Om" is one of those universal terms. When chanted the body vibrates with life force. As for Namaste, there is no equivalent in English, just like "souffle." It is much easier than saying to each and every person, "The light in me honors the light that is in you." Try saying that three times fast! I do wonder how the Chinese say faith. The word is beautiful in English, Italian as well. Have you ever heard the Saint Francis prayer said in Italian? It is beautiful. Fa di me, uno strumento della tua pace...I also think that God is so much bigger than any religion can define, and we as mere humans, cannot say that we know the one true god.

      Delete
  2. I found your comment on religious intolerance rather ironic, since the last time I checked, it was Muslims who couldn't tolerate the presence of Christians (or Jews, or adherents of any other religion) and were slaughtering them wholesale, not the other way round. It is factually inaccurate to say "in the past" Christians have been persecuted, as Christianity remains the most persecuted religion in the world. It's reasonably safe to be a Christian in the U.S. (you'll be continually ridiculed, but likely not shot), but in China, India, the Middle East, Africa, North Korea, and elsewhere, identifying yourself as a Christian requires genuine courage, since doing so invites not only persecution, but imprisonment and death as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed the wording from "in the past" to, "for the past 2000 years." Hopefully that will clear up the wording issue. In my experience, organized religions that profess one true path, usually do not have any tolerance for others. I am definitely intolerant of intolerant organized religions. I am working on letting go of that one but find it hard to feel compassion for those who say that because I haven't found the Lord I am going to hell. I think Jesus was a pretty cool guy and I love the Sermon On The Mount, but certain denominations of Christians do not treat others, (gay people, women, or people of different faiths,) with the compassion and love that Jesus taught.

      Delete
  3. I do, again, concur with your basic concept of spiritual adventuring - one has to carve out one's own path to Truth.
    And totally enjoy, like you, getting a kick out of doing things like referring to God as "She", just to see the look of horror on people's faces. I know, I know, I shouldn't take pleasure in such mischief, but, I do. :)

    ReplyDelete