Saturday, July 30, 2011

That where there is despair, I may bring hope, part 2

Warning, this is a rant and only a rant, you have the right to stop reading, if you choose to keep reading you will be responsible for your own reactions.
The facts: I am between school and gainful employment. I have been actively looking for a job and receiving rejection after rejection. I have not paid my bills in many months. The following is a representation of a conversation that takes place frequently now that I have graduated.
Person: So you just graduated, what are you doing now?
Me: I am looking for a job, preferably in the education field, I would love to teach while I write.
Person: Jobs are so hard to find, especially teaching jobs, I know so many people are out of work right now, it is so hard, these economic times are tough.
Please, please, please. I am almost 100% sure that anyone looking for work, or that is underemployed is well aware that it is a hard time to look for a job. Please oh please offer hope. I know that y'all want to be realists, but when someone is taking a cold shower because oil costs over 4$ a gallon, or they pay for groceries with food stamps, I am pretty sure that they are aware of reality. What is needed is hope. I have been accused of not being in touch with the "harsh reality" of the world every time I set a goal that is high, I go for that job I might not be completely qualified for, or I dream of  working at this place or publishing that piece. Let me set a high goal, encourage me to believe that this too shall pass. Because it will. I know that people mean well, I know they like to commiserate, but the offer of hope and gentle encouragement will work miracles. I need daily reminders that God is there, saving me from inappropriate situations. I need to notice the miracles, I need to feel hope and gratitude, even when the rejections pile up. I need to have cheerleaders surrounding me rather than naysayers. Hope goes a long way. Maybe I need to change my answer to: I am working for God, I am spending quiet days in prayer, I am absorbing sun and flowers and love. Miracles happen, all the time. There, now I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment